Thursday, February 14, 2008

Week 2: Not So Smooth Sailing

Once again THANK YOU for all of the wonderful comments! ALso, thank you to people that message me on Facebook but for some reason I can not respond, SORRY about that.

This week has been really difficult for me and there have been so many moments I have wanted to come home. Luckily after a lot of praying last night I felt a nice sense of calm today and dealt with everything very nicely. Earlier in the week I caught one of the local employees stealing from me. I was so devastated because he was by far my FAVORITE employee. He was truly an asset to African Impact. He was phenomenal with the children and the best translator we could ask for. I was shocked and sick to my stomach after what I saw. I can be a rather passive person at times so I did not say ANYTHING at first. I had noticed some money missing prior to this incident but the last person I thought would ever steal from me was this employee. I understand that many of the local people think of Americans, and any volunteers for that matter, as very wealthy. He was a paid employee but I am sure he did not make very much. It just hurt me so much to know that I put so much money, time, and energy into a project like this to be stolen from by someone that is supposed to be on my team. I of course was so upset that I told just a few of the volunteers why I was choked up and shaky. While we were working on the HIV garden later that day I confronted him about what I saw. He admitted to being in my bag and taking out my money but he promised he was only looking. I am not naive so I told Michelle later that night. It is her job to protect the volunteers so I felt it was my duty to let her know. His employment was terminated because apparently he has had some previous problems. I did not expect it to go over smoothly with the other volunteers but I also did not expect them to be devastated over his termination.

The next day when he did not come to the daycare with us a few people were complaining as if it was the most terrible thing that could have happened. Of course we NEED translators so badly but why on earth would we need a translator that steals from us? I forgive him for stealing, honestly I do, but his termination was a fair consequence for his actions so I do not feel he was treated unjustly like many others do. A few people just handled the situation very poorly and made me feel very guilty about telling Michelle what had happened. A couple of the volunteers even went to meet up with him last night to talk although I am not quite sure why. I did not ask.

Today I woke up and went for one of my morning jogs to clear my head and told myself I would not let it bother me any more and today was much better. Plus I had a phone call bright and early this morning from my mom which was very appreciated. I can't let the negative attitudes of other volunteers ruin my experience. They can complain all day long and I will try not to hear it.

Katie and I taught the final class to the 6 part HIV education series today. The women brought us each flowers for Valentines Day and we brought them chocolate, cookies and juice which they just gobbled right up! They were such a sweet group and I am excited to meet the next group of students. They spoke more english than I realized so by the end of the sessions we were able to talk and laugh a lot more.

I feel like I am not doing much at this point and I am worried that I will leave and not feel like I have left an impression on anyone...but another very experienced volunteer explained to me that usually that sense of accomplishment comes when you are done and you have returned home. She told me she has felt like that on all of her projects but once she is home and away from the work she realizes the impact she made. I hope I feel that way.

The volunteer I am speaking of is new. She arrived Monday. Her name is Sarah and she is from Australia. Sarah has had tons of experience on community projects like this and she just came from Mozambique. She has given us some brilliant ideas that will help us get the daycare center more organized and become far more productive. I can not wait until next week when we start to make some serious changes.

Katie and I had a very nice lunch today and a little deli in town. I had some amazing coffee and a fresh sandwich filled with tomatoes and cucumbers...and believe it or not something that simple can really make me happy on a week like this. :-)

This week has also been difficult because we have had very little time to ourselves, which is something I absolutely need to stay sane. We have had meetings every evening (and another one tonight) which are always unplanned and unexpected so the plans I make for after supper are always cancelled. I just really need my work day to end at some point, that way I can regroup and refresh myself so I am full of energy and ready for the next day. Hopefully next week is a bit less packed.

The traveling clinic came to Khula this week. It comes once a month and it provides medicine and treatment to sick people. You would not believe how many people come out to see a doctor or a nurse. The line was terribly long and there were crowds of people waiting outside. It just made me realize how many sick people there really are in Khula and what a big deal it is to actually see a doctor and receive some medicine. One of the men from the HIV support group died this week. His name was Lukus and he was very ill. I never actually met him because he did not come last week. The week before I arrived a child from the daycare center had died as well. We don't really know the reason. There is just so much illness and so little treatment.

This weekend we are going to Kosi Bay which is a few hours away. We will be driving all the way there in the good old pick-up truck... We will spend the night there on Saturday in some little cottage. We will go horseback riding and see turtles so it should be loads of fun!
I can't believe I only have 2 weekends left! It is just not enough. The weekends have been so fantastic so far.

I will write again after my weekend away. We of course have yet another meeting planned for Sunday so hopefully I can make it to the internet. I apologize for the amount I wrote about the stealing incident, it is not that important, but writing about it was a good way to vent I suppose.

Missing you all...
:-)



10 comments:

Unknown said...

Kate,
I'm happy to hear from you again. I'm so sorry about that stealing guy. Unfortunately things like that happen. But you did the right thing. Don't let it get the best of you. We miss you so much. Bella and I cant wait to see you again! Can you take more pictures of the children. I just love looking at them.

kate said...

kate
its a terrible thing when people you like let you down. i hope that's the end of it. you seem much better, i was getting anxious again. i just want your time finished and you home again.
you feel that you don't make an impact? you're changing their lives forever. even the smallest ways matter, every smile counts. when they wash their they'll remember you.
i miss you babycakes...
AK
XOXO

kate said...

opps, missed 'hands' in my post
AK

Bob said...

Hi Katie Bunz

Don't let that guy get you down,I do know how you feel when someone you like and trust lets you down,and how much it can eat away at ya just keep on doing what you are doing and everything will work out for you in the end. You are having an experice of a lifetime,not only are you going to leave an impact but this trip will leave an impact on you too. I check this blog 20 times a day and get pumped when you do post so I can read what my baby daughter is up to. I miss you and very proud of you and can't wait to hear about everything that happened down there, all the small things too. This trip does sound very hard on one's mind. I think anyone of us would have our moments from time to time so hang in there and do what you do best and enjoy... I bet once your home for awhile you will probally be thinking about going back. I love you.

Dad & Deb

Unknown said...

You're doing great Katie! It's so hard to realize what goes on across the world when we're so removed from it but I enjoy reading your blog and all the pictures. You'll be home before you know it and have a feeling you will then realize what this whole experience has meant and what possible turns your life could take because of it. Miss you and love you.

Aunt Mary Jean & Brian

deb said...

katie, happy valentines day!! your dad and i would sure love to talk to you but have no number to contact you. glad to hear that you are taking some time out of your busy days to also see some of the sites. this is going to be an experence you will NEVER forget, so just do your thing and make the best of it. no matter what you do in day for those people you are making an impact. hey, when you come home could you bring some of that warm weather with you?! the snow is unbelievable here!!! hope the new ideas for the day care work out and they will follow thur with everything you guys teach them. keep up the good work, love ya lots, deb

Sarah said...

Hey Kate,

I know you must of been freaking out about the week you were having. Oh man if that was me you know my anxiety would of had people running in all directions, lol. You know how I always told you I wanted to go to Africa? Well... after giving it some thought the doc would probably have to fill up a couple dozen prescriptions for me to get through the day with all my disorders.lol. Man have you ever made yourself laugh at what you're saying but when you look around you kinda realize you're the only one laughing at your jokes? Well that's kinda what's happening right now. Love you lil Kate!


Oh yeah Lexie went to doctors today. I discussed the MRI with her doctor and we both decided not to go forth with it. She seems completley normal and the whole procedure is life threatning so why take the chance? So she's doing great!

XoXo Sarah and Lexie

SheilaR said...

Hey Sweetie
I'm so sorry you had a bad week.I would have been as upset as you especially when we think we are such good judges of character.We start to doubt ourselves.It is a different world over there. He obviously felt he needed the money more than you did.You did everything right.

I read all your comments from friends and family and they made me cry too. There are lots of people who love and care about you and are so proud of you. Keep up the good work.You'll never forget this experience and it will change you forever. In a good way!

Keep being Kate.I love you sweetie.Can't wait to have you back.

kate said...

kate
i'm thinking about you, and just have to tell you again that i love you. maybe you're riding horses right this second. i hope your weekend was fun and full of adventure. just think, when i was your age i had a 2 year old and you're out saving the world. what a contrast, not that i would change anything but i wish i had the drive and ambition that you have. i'm so crazy proud of you and you know i'm all choked up as i write this post. your passion and dedication should be bottled and sold or added to the water system so we could have little katie clones running around the world. i'm missing you terribly and can't wait for our time together.
kiss, kiss, big hug!!
AK

Unknown said...

I think what you are doing is amazing and I am very impressed. I don't know if I have the courage to do what you have already done. Have a good time and do wonderful things. Hopefully I'll see you this summer.