Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Rest of my Weekend

Last night was very relaxing and enjoyable. I went to a little restaurant and had a cold drink with another volunteer after we left the internet cafe. Later I did a little workout routine in my bedroom and then just relaxed out on the deck with a few girls.

I am pleased to say that today has been a very good day. I went for a morning jog after breakfast and saw 3 monkeys along the way! I also saw 2 stray dogs that kind of followed me for awhile. I got lost and it took me quite some time to find my way home. DON'T WORRY, I was only running through the tourist neighborhood full of bed and breakfasts. I did not go anywhere dangerous (Aunt Kathi this is for you because you are such a worrier...lol).

I went to the beach today with Katie, the 2 German girls and Bobby. The waves were so enormous but I was still brave and went in with everyone. There are sharks in the water so we had to be careful not to go too deep.

After the beach we swam for a bit in the pool and played pool volleyball. A group of us walked into town for some lunch and I ate some amazing sushi! Delicious. There were no bats in the bathroom this morning, which was nice, but there were several outside on the deck last night hovering above us.

So today felt like a vacation...which was very nice. I start work tomorrow, 8am SHARP. Every morning we work at the orphan day care until lunch and then the afternoons vary from day to day. We are getting our 1st Zulu lessons after lunch tomorrow, which is much needed because I can barely remember how to say hello at this point.

I still miss everyone a great deal but I am definitely more comfortable now than I was a few days ago. NO MORE TEARS! :-)

Also, I just wanted to add one funny thing that the German girls told Katie and I. They heard that on Super Bowl Sunday during half-time all of the Americans go to the bathroom at the same time and so the toilets go out. We had to tell them this is not true. I just thought that was kind of interesting. We had long conversations last night about what Germans think of Americans and vice versa. We also talked about what people from the UK think of us. They all just said they hate President Bush, not us. So that is good! :-) I tried to upload photos but it did not work so try this link below.

http://ilstu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2198716&id=22900522#

I will write again soon!!

4 comments:

kate said...

hi kate
you're such a great story teller. i can actually picture everything. i'm not so worried anymore.
these weeks are probably going to fly and you'll be home soon.
maybe going to Paris won't be so special anymore after this adventure.
every second i think about you.
i really miss you.
love AK

Unknown said...

Hey Kate, I know I have said this before but I am so jealous of you right now. Looking at your pictures it is so obvious that this is what you were meant to do. You are such a special gift for the children there.
a side note, I hope the hippos did not poop on you and I am surprised that you slept with a lizard on your wall. I miss you terribly and cant wait to read more.

Also I have tried multiple time to call the house there and nothing works.

Unknown said...

My little Katie, I'm so happy to hear from you. I feel so much better about you right now. Lsitening to your stories make me feel I'm right there with you. I tried to follow that link for your pictures but was not successful.We still need your password to your account or at least be a friend of yours on facebook to preview. Can you post them on your my space so I can see and forward them to AK? I miss you so much and I cant wait to hear more. I want to know more about the children. Kisses from Bella and I. xoxoxo

Bob said...

Hey Katie

I can not see pic's

Love Dad